This is the best thing you can do with your Halloween candy. Believe me. Friends don't lie.
Decoration inspired by Delish, this Stranger Things layer cake is complete with cream cheese frosting, M&Ms ands 3 Musketeers Bars. It's guaranteed to be a hit with any Demogorgons you may encounter -- excuse me Demodogs -- as well as any Netflix/chocolate enthusiasts.
I didn't have as much time to bake/decorate as I would have liked, and I always feel like I'm cheating when I use a pre-made mix, but HEY, it tastes wonderful and looks a whole lot cleaner than Joyce Byers' wall!
And while slightly more difficult to make than Eggos, definitely worth it.
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 40 min
Decorating Time: 10 min
Total Time: 60 min
1 devils food boxed cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
10 musketeers minis (give or take a few)
Frosting and Decorating Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar, plus more as needed
26 M&Ms (aka 3-4 Halloween packs of M&Ms or just 1 regular sized of bag)
1/4 cup melted chocolate or black frosting (for decoration)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease two 10" round cake tins.
2. Prepare cake mix as instructed on box. Pour batter evenly into the two tins. Chop 3 Musketeers minis into quarters and spread pieces onto the batter.
3. Bake as directed on the back of the cake mix box. Once it passes the toothpick test, remove from oven and let cool.
4. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla extract, and salt. Once combined, slowly mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time (it's easy to accidentally create a powder sugar cloud in your kitchen during this step). When all the sugar has been mixed in, it should be a thick, but creamy and smooth consistency. If not, add more powdered sugar.
5. Frost the cake using spatula (mine could have been frosted smoother, but like I said, I was short for time)! With frosting between both layers and more frosting on top.
6. Place your M&Ms leaving enough room for the frosting letters... you should have 26 M&Ms in total, one for each letter. I placed them in the order I wanted before putting them on the cake, looking at a still from Stranger Things for reference.
7. Once they're placed, start drawing the light cord with Black Decorating Gel or melted chocolate. While the black gel will look better, I like using chocolate simply because it doesn't stain your tongue like the gel can. You'll need a steady hand for this! And finish up with the letters. But don't worry if you mess up... Joyce Byers didn't have the neatest handwriting either...
Send me pics on Twitter and Instagram if you end up baking this!