Butternut Squash & Pesto Noods
Carbs are great. I love carbs. I know they get a bad rap sometimes, but I genuinely think they're wonderful. I am also well aware that healthy living is all about balance. So for every dozen cookies I eat, I have to throw a vegetable or too into my diet. See? Balance, people!
This is my new go-to veggie packed, low-carb, SUPER DUPER easy to make vegan "pasta." More like im-pasta, because it's made with butternut squash noodles. It's packed with flavor! You still get a bunch protein from the toasted nuts. It's crunchy. And mega delicious. Trust!
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 16oz butternut squash noodles
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup baby Bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 5 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/ 4 cup vegan pesto
- ground black pepper to taste
- cooking spray or 2tbsp olive oil (divided)
(and if you don't care about this recipe being vegan, I highly recommend a sprinkle of grated parmesan)
1. Heat cooking spray or oil in large pan or wok, lightly toast pine nuts for 3-5 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Set aside.
2. Add onion, zucchini, basil and mushrooms and let cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add butternut squash noodles. Let cook for another 4-6 minutes stirring frequently, until edges of noodles begin to brown. Gently fold in pesto and ground black pepper. Stir for another 2 minutes, and toss in pine nuts.
3. Divide between two bowl and serve immediately (or works well chilled for the next day too!). See how easy that was?!
The bright colors make it so visually appealing. My tastebuds are super happy, it's filling and it's also light enough where I feel like I can conquer the world!
Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think! xx CK